Monday, December 15, 2014

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

As a publisher of international literature and a promoter of arts throughout the world, I also love (and on occasion am angered with) my own country. After long consideration I have determined to express that joy and sorrow in the form of an ongoing consideration of cultural artifacts, including fiction, film, poetry, dance, theater, visual art, performance, television, and other mediums, celebrating what I feel to be our cultural treasures from the founding of our country to the present day. I will regularly post pieces on these works (each one a consideration of a single work or anthology) which express the American landscape, invigorating and challenging our notions of what it means to be a citizen of the USA.

I invite others to contribute essays devoted to single works that they feel are American Cultural Treasures. Essays (of any length) should be sent to me at douglasmesserli@gmail.com for consideration. I reserve the right to pass on works that I feel are weakly expressed or represent cultural values unequal to being described as "treasures." All published works are copyrighted in the name of the contributors.

Finally, I want to make it clear that this should not be seen as a compilation of the "best" of American culture, but understood as statements that help reveal some of the most interesting contributions to our culture, a culture which is diverse and multiplicitous in its expressions.

Douglas Messerli

No comments:

Post a Comment